My overarching focus in substance use, within which I have a number of foci:
- Genetic variations in delay discounting in people who use heroin
- People’s motivations to obtain naloxone and experiences requesting it
- Impact of stress on craving and substance use
- Consequences of concomitant sedative and heroin use
I currently have two main neuroethics foci:
- Exploration of neuroprosthetics and their roles within treatment and enhancement of different populations. I want to explore our definitions of disability and how that affects the way in which we create new technologies and justify their uses.
- The ethical implications of certain advances in addiction science (e.g. genetic markers).
There are multiple areas of bioethics that I have explored, I am currently:
- Working with a medical interpreter in order to develop a deeper understanding of the ethical risks associated with language access in medical settings and develop guidelines for patient care providers.
- Exploring the role of parents in decision making for children with health problems when the role of the parent contradicts the recommendations of members in the disease community.