During the Social Media panel at CNS2016, I was thinking that I really needed to start writing again. Then, Nick Wan (also the organizer of said panel) suggested creating a post series. This led to an idea. I am about to embark on a long MD/PhD journey and I already have plenty of thoughts about what I have done so far and why.
I plan to create a series that I hope to develop throughout my studies in the program. As I was searching for programs myself I struggled to find any current blogs by individuals going through or who had completed a program. In fact, I only found 1 current blog: MDPhDtobe. As I just starting the program, I have no idea what is going to come up that is worth blogging about but here are some of the things I plan to include (although probably not in this neat order):
- Why MD/PhD?
- Being a “non-traditional” (read: older than most of my classmates) student
- Applying to MD/PhD programs
- My MD/PhD Application (& Reapplication)
- Choosing my First Graduate Research Rotation
- Experiences of my First Research Rotation
- Halfway through year 1
- Medical Student Research Symposium
- Medical School Transition – An Unexpected Difficulty
- Lessons from Year 1
- The AMA: My Foray into Policy
- Experiences of my Second Research Rotation
- Med school year 2
- Step 1 – An Exam to Forget
- Transitioning to research
- Navigating Multiple Departments
- Applying for my first grant
There are so many topics that I am sure will come up, but these are some of the important ones that come to mind right now. I will update this list with links as I start to write.
I don’t know if anyone wants to read this or if it could be helpful to others in similar programs. Either way, I think it will be helpful, as I move through my studies, to be able to come back and remind myself of my motivation and why I’m doing this. I think that’s useful for anyone embarking on long paths to their future careers: try not to lose sight of why you’re doing what you’re doing. There is also something about looking back and summarizing what you have done and why that helps bring all of that hard work into focus.
So consider this a trailer of what is yet to be written…
One thought on “MD/PhD Log”